Home | About Us | Current Issue | Ahead of print | Archives | Search | Instructions | Subscription | Feedback | Editorial Board | e-Alerts | Login 
Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
     Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons
Official journal of the Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons         
 Users Online:1303 
  Print this page Email this page   Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 27  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 317-322

Comparison of cisplatin monotherapy and PLADO in the management in children with standard-risk hepatoblastoma in a resource-challenged nation


1 Department of Paediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
2 Department of Medical Oncology, BRA-Institute-Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
3 Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
4 Department of Radiodiagnosis, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Vishesh Jain
Department of Paediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Room No. 4002, Teaching Block, New Delhi - 110 029
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jiaps.JIAPS_46_21

Rights and Permissions

Background : Recent SIOPEL studies have shown cisplatin monotherapy to be equally effective in management of Standard risk Hepatoblastoma (SRHB)as compared to PLADO. Aims and Objectives: To study the chemotherapy, response and outcomes in children with SRHB. Material and Methods: A retrospective study was conducted and all children with SRHB who presented to us from June 2007 to December 2017 were included. All patients with standard risk hepatoblastoma who had received at least 2 cycles of chemotherapy were included. Data regarding the demographics, PRETEXT stage, chemotherapy, response to chemotherapy and outcomes were recorded. Kaplan Meier survival analysis was performed to calculate 5 year overall survival (OS) and event free survival (EFS). Results: Thirty two children were included in the study. The disease was PRETEXT I in 5 (15.6%), II in 9 (28.1%) and 18 (56.2%). Nineteen children (59.4%) received Cisplatin monotherapy and of these 6 patients (all PREXT III) had poor response and the chemotherapy was upgraded to PLADO. The remaining 13 (40.6%) received upfront PLADO chemotherapy. Only 31 patients could be operated. Tumor recurred in 5 patients, 2 who had upfront PLADO and 3 patients had been upgraded to PLADO. The 5 year OS and EFS was 100% in the monotherapy group (n=13), 92% and 69% in the upfront PLADO group (n=13), and 62% and 22% in the upgraded to PLADO group (n=6). Patients with PRETEXT III disease in whom chemotherapy was upgraded to PLADO had significantly lower survival (p=0.036) compared to those who received upfront PLADO chemotherapy. Conclusion: Two thirds of patients with PRETEXT stage III who received cisplatin monotherapy showed poor response and were upgraded to PLADO chemotherapy. These patients had a significantly poorer outcome compared to the rest of the cohort. PRETEXT stage III standard-risk hepatoblastoma may benefit from PLADO chemotherapy instead of cisplatin monotherapy.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed40    
    Printed0    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded5    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal

 


Contact us | Sitemap | Advertise | What's New | Copyright and Disclaimer | Privacy Notice

  2005 - Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons | Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow 

Online since 1st May '05